Enabling Remote Peering with On-demand Connectivity
- Truly Global Presence – On-demand connectivity platform providers need to offer presence that spans the globe. They should deliver access to world-leading hubs like De-CIX (Frankfurt), AMS-IX (Amsterdam), LINX (London), NYIIX (New York), SGIX (Singapore) but also smaller exchanges in local markets.
- ‘Click-to-Connect’ Provisioning – Global Internet exchanges should be instantly accessible and supported with on-demand connectivity. Service providers should be able to connect to exchanges anywhere in the world when they want it. In today’s market, service providers need to be agile and it is critical that connectivity is delivered on-demand.
- Support for Remote Peering – Connectivity providers need to enable remote peering across their network and enable their partners to peer seamlessly and around the globe. They should be able to give service providers the ability to peer even without presence. That reduces costs and offers a truly flexible and elastic infrastructure.
- Portal or API-based Management – Service providers should be able to control and monitor their connectivity with a simple and seamless interface. Connecting to an Internet exchange should be as easy as booking an airline ticket or using an eCommerce site. With a web portal or API-based approach, service providers are in the driver’s seat and can access almost any exchange 24/7.
- Guaranteed End-to-End Quality – Quality of Service (QoS) is key. Service providers need to trust that their connectivity provider can deliver the best possible performance with consistency and reliability. Guaranteed end-to-end SLAs are critical to successfully accessing and leveraging internet exchanges. Connectivity to the exchange cannot be the weak link.
- A Partner-centric Approach – The connectivity provider needs to be committed to the overall success of the service provider’s business and deliver customer service excellence. Even if connectivity is delivered via a platform, the provider must be dedicated to partnering with the service provider for mutual success. They need to be focused on meeting big picture objectives.